From the Princetoniana Museum:
Unlike previous building campaigns, the "Third Century Fund" did not emphasize dormitories. Indeed, the only dormitory erected during the Dodds era -- 1915 -- was more the product of the labor of the donor class than of the university administration. Anticipating a surge in enrollment following the war, the Class of 1915 began soliciting contributions during the war for a new dormitory.
Shortages of materials and manpower pushed back construction until October 1948. Even then, the approved design was a far cry from the lavish dormitories of the 1920s: brick instead of stone, largely unornamented, towerless, and regular in its dimensions. As architect Aymar Embury wrote, "Because of high prices [of labor] and widespread demand for building materials," money cannot be spent on purely decorative features."
Given these constraints, Embury selected brick and limestone as his materials and a stripped-down treatment of Collegiate Gothic as the style. Located south of Patton Hall, parallel to Elm Drive, the new building was 186 feet long and cost $315,000. It was dedicated in June 1950 and for more than a decade represented the southernmost outpost of the main campus.